6.13.2006

You can't take it with you...

As you may know, I'm a bit of a news junkie. So imagine my surprise when I saw this article:


While articles about Congress giving themselves a pay hike usually bother me, what struck me about this particular article was the following text:

"This year, Vice President Cheney, House Speaker Dennis Hastert and Chief Justice William Rehnquist receive $212,100. Associate justices receive $203,000. House and Senate party leaders get $183,500."

For those who don't follow American Government, Chief Justice William Rehnquist died and was replaced by Chief Justice John Roberts before the present term of the Supreme Court.

While we definitely have our share of governmental problems in the U.S., I'm inclined to guess that we probably don't pay federal judges after they died. Went to jail, yes. But dead, probably not.

Update: Evidently, AP discovered Rehnquist isn't going to receive a salary in the grave after all and changed to the story to reflect that CJ Roberts will receive $ 212,100.

No comments: