4.09.2006

You can't get it from my keyboard, right?

I've been meaning to post for a while, but last Wednesday, at work, my eye really started to itch, so I began rubbing it. And rubbing it. And rubbing it.

I thought I might have something in my eye, so I went to the bathroom and began washing it out. Figuring that I just scratched my cornea, I was sure I'd be fine in a few hours. Those hours came and went, and I said to myself, surely, all I need to do is go to sleep and I'll be fine when I wake up. The cornea is one of the fastest parts of the body to heal, so all will be good.

When I woke up Thursday, my eye was as unpleasant as the day before and there was a white filmy substance in it. (For you, no detail is too small. Or gross. One of the two. Definitely.) I figured I'd see what happened over the next few hours and, then, if things weren't clearing up, I'd consider going to the doctor. I realize that most people would have taken this as a clue to go to the doctor, but I'm a guy. And if there's one way I fit the stereotype, it's that I avoid going to the doctor until absolutely necessary.

At around 11 a.m., while I was reviewing a deposition, I realized I couldn't actually read it. The time had come. I called and made an appointment with the doctor for later that afternoon.

To make a long story short...ok, shorter...I was diagnosed with Viral Conjunctivitis, also known as "pink eye." While more an annoyance than anything else, I'm pretty sure this is one of the more disgusting afflictions placed upon homo sapiens. The virus is highly contagious (which meant no work on Thursday or Friday) and is spread through contact with tears (which get on hands and then make there way to other people). Probably the cutest part of the virus is that it can spread from one to both eyes and seal them shut. Thankfully, I didn't have that experience.

One of the other "side effects" is reading becomes pretty much impossible. So, no posts. No work and no posts. I guess you've got to take the bad with the good.

Nonetheless, I've been home since Thursday, afraid to contaminate others with this rather nasty little bug.

Oh well, break's over. Work starts again tomorrow.


P.S. I'm hoping to put up a Passover post in the next few days. Unfortunately, the subject of the post has been preempted by the fine folks over at Jewlicious, but I'm going to post it anyway.

No comments: